High-flying undergraduates at UCD
At this point we find the first warning note that Hugh would not necessarily proceed smoothly through his university career. Although he had studied so far at University College on Stephen’s Green in the centre of Dublin, the Jesuit Archives’ manuscript List of Students, Courses, Fellows, etc. for the College in 1885 does not list him.2 By 1886 his college affiliation is given as University College, Blackrock, at which he passed his second university examination, with second-class Honours in Latin and Experimental Physics, and where he won an exhibition of £20 (2nd Class).3
The bare university records give no impression of Hugh McNeill’s character, but we can gradually catch glimpses of his involvement with the intellectual life of the college. As his university career progressed, he became an active organiser of and contributor to university societies. By 1886 he was “Auditor” (or President) of the University College, Blackrock Debating Society, and at their inaugural meeting he read “an interesting and brilliant paper” on “The Ballad Poetry of Ireland”.4
The Royal University Calendar gives the affiliation of all three brothers over their final year as “private study”.6
Hugh’s university career was certainly solid, if not glittering. But his earliest promise was not fully borne out, and there are perhaps questions to be asked about why he changed college and missed a full year, completing his degree by private study.
The Professor teaches
Similar issues bedevil Hugh’s university teaching career. In general his greatest successes come early, and later on he slides backwards. This is a characteristic that is observable throughout his life.
On completing his degree in 1888 Hugh soon won a place on the teaching staff of University College Dublin. The List of Students, Courses, Fellows, etc. held in the Irish Jesuit Archives is a mine of detailed information. From these archives we learn that in the year 1889-90 “H. MacNeill” was one of the “Tutors” giving “Evening Lectures” to first- and second-year Latin students. It was of course as a classicist that Ellmann knew of him. His second-year Latin class consisted of fourteen students.
Along with Professor W. J. Brown, he also tutored eighteen Matriculation students and nine Arts students in Latin and Greek. The register lists McNeill immediately below Professor Brown, and precedes his name with a ditto mark, implying that the title “Professor” applies equally to McNeill.
Conclusive evidence of his title as this early stage of his career comes from a further entry in that year. He is listed explicitly in the University College List (unlike some other staff members) as “Prof. McNeill”, teaching French to first-year Arts students. It seems he was not required to teach second- or third-year students.7 But in no year does McNeill appear listed as one of the professors at the University in Thom’s directory.
The story continues with little change into Hilary (Easter) term 1890. Professors Healy and McNeill shared the Evening Lecture duties, with Healy taking the Honours students, and Professor McNeill taking eight Pass students (on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evenings). In Trinity (Summer) term, “Professor McNeill” is, according to these internal University College records, teaching first-year Arts students in Latin.
But he is not listed here in Michaelmas (Christmas) term 1890, less than a year after the first reference to “Professor McNeill”. For reasons that are not explicit in the University record, he is no longer accorded the title, and it would seem that account had been taken of his suitability or reliability for this high level of work. It is likely that he continued in some capacity as a “tutor” at University College, but holders of this title were not listed at that time in Thom’s Directory.
Perhaps in “Old MacHugh” giving Stephen a “bear’s hug”, we can see Joyce remembering a close relationship between McNeill and the Joyce family. McNeill was clearly involved with Joyce’s circle at University College in the late 1890s, as references to his association with Starkey, Curran, O’Mahony, and Byrne suggest. Gogarty too writes of McNeill, and may have been taught by him when he attempted the Royal University examinations.9 Joyce, it seems, did not meet McNeill for the first time in the Evening Herald newspaper offices in 1909.
McNeill seems to have had ample time for other activities. In 1891 the Freeman’s Journal catches sight of him speaking at the “Wexford Convention” in New Ross. Like his brothers, he had political interests. At this point he is referred to by the format he used so often in published documents afterwards: “H. A. McNeill, B.A.”10
In the same year he is still being sought for his competence as a classicist. Whilst presumably maintaining some work as a tutor at University College, the Royal University – responsible for awarding degrees – employed him as an “Assistant Examiner” in Latin.11 Outside the realm of officialdom, however, he is reluctant to abandon the title “Professor”. In February 1892 he is back in New Ross, proposing a resolution at a political meeting, and is referred to as “Professor H. A. M’Neill”.12
Income as an Examiner
As well as examining for the Royal University, Hugh McNeill also obtained occasional additional income from the schools’ Intermediate Examination Board. In 1893 he was listed (without title) as one of the academics from which those responsible for conducting that year’s examinations in Greek and Latin would be selected.17 In 1893 he was unsuccessful in his application for this work, but the fact that he was considered is a testament to his academic competence. At the same time, he was clearly interested in the opportunities offered by St Mary’s University College (founded 1893), the new college “for the higher education of ladies” in Merrion Square in Dublin.18 This was one of a series of female Dominican educational foundations operating in Dublin at the time. “Professor H. A. M’Neill, B.A.” is listed amongst those present at their prize-giving ceremony in November 1895, which probably implies that he had collected some additional tutoring here.19
Even though he seems no longer to have had a full-time teaching role at University College, Hugh McNeill is busy and useful in a number of areas. In 1896 he was finally accepted by the Intermediate Board for Ireland as one of its selected Examiners, in Greek and Latin. This was a substantial coup for Hugh, and gave promise of steady if not regular employment for some years to come.22 As a former student of University College, he was also a fairly regular attendee of the College Sodality meetings, a Catholic devotional and discussion group within the University. The Registers of Attendance for the group are held by the Irish Jesuit Archives in Dublin.23 As “Professor H. A. M‘Neill” he was a member of the Executive Committee of the Burke Centenary Commemoration committee, held at 4 College Green.24 The young James enrolled at University College in the following year, 1898. It was a small place in those days: he must have known the regular and more occasional staff.
By 1900 he and his family had moved house to Howth – a house called “Aberdelgie”, on the Harbour Road. The Gaelic Journal cites him from this address commenting on a Latin syntactic issue,27 and the 1901 census of Ireland records 9 Howth Demesne as the address of Hugh A McNeill (aged 35, Roman Catholic, “Professor of Classsics”), his wife Mary McNeill (35, Roman Catholic), and their eleven-month-old son Hugh Hyacinth McNeill (subsequently Colonel Commandant of the Free State Army in the 1920s).28 It is noteworthy that Hugh McNeill retains the occupational description “Professor of Classics”, although by now it would appear that this was an honorary title. It is not clear how long Hugh remains the principal householder at Aberdelghie, Howth. In the following year Thom’s Directory lists his mother in that role.
After the 1886 examinations, John McNeill had achieved the status of Scholar, rather than Exhibitioner.
2 Irish Jesuit Archives, 36 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2: document UNIV/24, List of Students - 20 November.
3 Freeman’s Journal (1886), 30 July.
4 Freeman’s Journal (1886), 12 November, which carried a long account of the paper; Royal University Calendar (1887).
5 Freeman’s Journal (1887), 18 November.
7 Irish Jesuit Archives: document UNIV/24, 1889-90.
8 Phillip Herring, Joyce’s Notes & Early Drafts for Ulysses: Selections from the Buffalo Collection (1977), p. 170.
9 Irish Times (1943), 25 September (Starkey); O. St. J. Gogarty Tumbling in the Hay (1939), p. 57, and John Lyons, James Joyce & medicine (1974), p. 66; C. P. Curran, James Joyce Remembered (1968), p. 61 (Curran, O’Mahony); John F. Byrne, Silent Years (1953), p. 41.
10 Freeman’s Journal (1891), 23 October.
11 Royal University Calendar (1892). McNeill’s name was similarly proposed in 1895, but he was not selected.
12 Freeman’s Journal (1892), 16 February.
13 Report of the Intermediate Education Board for Ireland for the year 1901 (Dublin: 1902) Appendix: Latin, p. 21.
14 St Stephens (1901), 1 June [unnumbered, at end].
15 “Seumas O’Sullivan” in Irish Times (1943), 25 September.
16 Irish Times (1951), 15 September.
17 Report of the Intermediate Board for Ireland for the year 1893 (1894): Appendix One.
18 Freeman’s Journal (1896), 29 August p. 2: “Dominican Convent, Sion Hill, Blackrock, County Dublin… The tram from Kingstown to Dublin […] affords every facility for Day-Pupils attending St Mary’s University College, 29 Merrion square.” The College moved to Muckross Park in September 1900.
19 Freeman’s Journal (1895), 2 November.
20 Report of the Intermediate Board for Ireland for the year 1896 (1897): Appendix 1. He remained an Examiner until at least 1901.
21 For one obituary of Rev. Murphy, see the Irish Monthly (1986), June pp. 328-31.
22 Report of the Intermediate Board for Ireland for the year 1896 (1897): Appendix 1.
23 University College Sodality – Register of Attendance 20 January 1894 – 1 May 1909 (Irish Jesuit Archives: UNIV/32). He also attended a meeting (with Charles Joyce), on 5 February, 1898; on 5 March 900 he (unusually) signed the attendance book in Gaelic script.
24 Freeman’s Journal (1898), 13 January.
25 Royal Commission on University Education in Ireland (1899), Appendix to Third Report p. 558.
26 Freeman’s Journal (1899), 18 February; Final Report to the Commissioners (Intermediate Education (Ireland) Commission) (1899), p. 576.
27 Irisleabar na Gaedhilge: The Gaelic Journal (1900), vols. 11-12 p. 109.
28 See the entry for Hugh Hyacinth McNeill in the Dictionary of Irish Biography.
29 Report of the Intermediate Education Board for Ireland for the year 1901 (1902), p. 22-3 (Middle Grade, First Paper, Girls), 25-6 (Preparatory Grade, First Paper, Boys).
30 University College, Dublin. Calendar. Session 1902-3 (Dublin: Sealy, Bryers, & Walker, 1903): Jesuit Archives UNIV/34.